- What factors contribute to the onset of an illness? How does our immune system work?
- What will be the role of artificial intelligence in medicine? What is CT and MRI?
- Can we replace a body part with 3D printing technology?
The Faculty of Medicine and its international programmes have the answers.
The University of Szeged traces its origins back to the 16th century. One of the most outstanding characters in the history of the Faculty of Medicine is Albert Szent Györgyi, former Biochemistry professor, dean of the Faculty of Medicine, rector. Albert Szent-Györgyi was the first to isolate vitamin C, extracted from paprika. He was awarded with the Nobel Prize in 1937 for his physiological research which he conducted at the University of Szeged.
Due to its educational, research, and patient care activity, the Faculty of Medicine is the largest of the university’s twelve faculties. Medical education is offered in three languages: Hungarian, English and German. The clinics at the Faculty serve as national and regional centres for a number of medical specialties, providing an appropriate practical resource for high-quality medical education. In recent years, our facilities have undergone significant infrastructural improvements, a state-of-the-art clinical building to house all fields of surgical care, as well as cardiology, neurology and haematology has been built. Besides the graduate programmes, we place great emphasis on post-graduate training. The Faculty runs 4 doctoral schools featuring 16 PhD programmes with nearly 150 Hungarian and international students. Students are afforded the opportunity to enter PhD programmes during the last year of their graduate studies.
For more information please visit the website of the Faculty.
Click on the photo for more pictures about the Faculty.
Programmes for International Students
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) six-year undivided Master’s programme
- Foundation Year
- Clinical Medicine (PhD)
- Multidisciplinary Sciences (PhD)
- Interdisciplinary Sciences (PhD)
- Theoretical Medicine (PhD)
German Language Programmes
- Studium der Humanmedizin in deutscher Sprache (Zeugnis über den Ersten Abschnitt der Ärztlichen Prüfung)
- Vorbereitungsjahr für das Medizinstudium in deutscher Sprache
Graduates of the Faculty can specialize in a great number of medical fields, depending on their interest—operative, diagnostic, research, teaching, or family medicine. The diploma students receive here is automatically acknowledged in any EU country. Its acceptance outside the EU is dependent on local regulations, in certain countries a licensing examination needs to be taken. Our program also provides the basis for postgraduate medical economist and medical management programs.
International collaborations play a significant role in the life of the Faculty of Medicine both in education and research. Our international relations involve student mobility as well, which provide our students an outstanding opportunity for professional development, enhancing cultural awareness, as well as for the improvement of foreign language competences.
Erasmus+ Programme: This is the most significant exchange programme of the Faculty of Medicine in terms of students, faculty and administrative staff mobility. The most popular destinations for outgoing students are Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal. Currently we have 59 active Erasmus agreements and we are constantly establishing new ones. For further information please visit this website.
- IFMSA Exchange Programme: The Medical Student Association of Szeged is in charge of the IFMSA professional and scientific exchange programme, in the framework of which each year 40-50 medical students from Szeged have the opportunity to spend their one-month medical electives abroad. The same number of incoming students are hosted at the Faculty. The countries covered by the current bilateral agreements are Spain, Portugal, Catalonia, Italy, Greece, Brazil, Mexico, Indonesia, France, Nepal, Japan, China, Armenia, Poland, Finland, the Netherlands, Ecuador, Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Turkey, Bulgaria, Thailand, Slovakia and Slovakia. For further information please visit this website.
HMAA Buffalo Exchange Programme: (for students holding Hungarian citizenship). The HMAA (Hungarian Medical Association of America) offers 6th year medical students from Hungary the opportunity to spend a 3-month internship at the Dent Neurological Institute and Roswell Park Cancer Institute in the United States of America. For further information please visit this website.
HMAA Houston Exchange Programme: The exchange program will allow medical students from Szeged to spend their internships in the fields of Anesthesiology, Vascular
- Surgery/Surgery and Neurology at the facilities of The Methodist Hospital - Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas. For further information please visit this website.
- Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California Exchange Program: Within the framework of the exchange programe medical students from Szeged can spend 2 months of their final year internships at the facilities of Keck School of Medicine. For further information please visit this website.
Student Services of the Faculty
International students have a wide range of activities to choose from during the semester, giving them a break from all that time spent at their desk. The International Student Union of Szeged (ISUS) is an organization created for students by students, with the support of the Faculty of Medicine. ISUS is dedicated to providing a rich, exciting cultural and academic experience for students studying Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy at the University of Szeged.
Their programmes include sport events, the annual International Cultural Evening (ICE), cinema events, musical concerts, the annual Spring Barbecue, charity events and much more – it’s all there! Szeged and ISUS let you live your student life to the maximum, experience a variety of new people, and become a professional enriched with knowledge, experience and a universal attitude.
See the Student Services of the University of Szeged here.
Faculty of Medicine - 2021/2022
Application Requirements in General
The process of Application at the University of Szeged happens via an online application platform called DreamApply.
Albert Szent-Györgyi Scholarship
- Scholarship Programme for Christian Young People
- Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme
- SZTE Start Scholarship: a merit-based financial assistance to 12 SZTE students each year.
Meet Zaid from the Faculty of Medicine
“My name is Zaid Hammad, I am a second year Medicine student from Jordan. I am a Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holder. I chose to apply for the University of Szeged because of its reputation and high ranking compared to other universities in Hungary and all around the world. I was also impressed by the history of the scientist Albert Szent-Györgyi who won a Nobel Prize. In the future, I plan to specialize in a specific field of Medicine. I believe that the reputation of the SZTE and its accredited diploma will assist me in finding the suitable country and university to study my specialization.”