Prepare for Arrival
To-do list for Freshmen of the University of Szeged
There's so much to think about when starting university and especially when moving to a foreign country, so we've put together this guide to help you with preparing your stay in Szeged.
Make sure you are ready to start your studies
- You have accepted your admission offer in Dream Apply.
- You have paid the tuition fee (if you are not a scholarship holder).
- You have collected all missing application documents and are ready to present them upon enrollment (if not mailed earlier).
Make travel arrangements
- Make sure to arrive by the orientation day.
- It is crucial to check the latest updates on the entry requirements published by the Hungarian Consular Services in your country before planning your travel to Hungary. Read more about the issue here.
- Make sure your identification documents are valid.
- Book your flights. In case you need to be quarantined (10 days), please schedule your flight accordingly.
Make sure that you have a credit/debit card that can be used in Hungary. Please bring cash and exchange some of it to HUF at the airport in case you are requested to stay in quarantine.
- Book your airport pick-up service. For more information please visit: Living in Szeged and How to get to Szeged.
Sign up for a health insurance plan
- It is recommended to have a travel insurance at least for the duration of trip and the initial period of your stay in Hungary.
- For your study time in Szeged, you will need to have a valid health insurance. Fore the list of recommended insurances, please check: Living in Szeged - Health Issues.
- Please bear in mind that in case you come from a visa restricted country, you might be required to present a health insurance valid for the duration of your stay in Hungary.
- If you are scholarship holder, you are going to be assigned a place in a dormitory automatically. If you prefer private accommodation, please inform your programme coordinator. For more information, please visit this page.
- If you are a self-financed student, you are going to be provided help in finding a suitable flat. If you wish, you can already start searching for accommodtaion before your arrival to Szeged. For more information, please visit this page.
Connect with the University on our social media platforms to stay up-to date
Pack your bags
- Documentation: Make sure to pack all your travel and identification documents (passport, student visa, ID card etc.), your letter of acceptance, vaccination card, Covid Immunity certificate (if applicable), University Letter of Acceptance, University student status certificate (if applicable).
- Clothing: Please make sure to pack some formal wear for official events like an opening ceremony or your oral exams. Otherwise Hungary has 4 seasons, where summers can be very hot and winters can be very cold. So make sure you are covered for all eventualities. Of course you have the opportunity to refresh your wardrobe in Hungary. Many brands are also available in Szeged. For information on where you can shop in Szeged, click here.
- Electrical items: Electricity in Hungary is the European standard: 220-240 V. If you are coming from a country with a different standard for electricity, you may need an adapter or a voltage converter to use your electronic devices. Electrical sockets (outlets) in Hungary are one of the two European standard electrical socket types: The "Type C" Europlug and the "Type E" and "Type F" Schuko. If your appliance's plug doesn't match the shape of these sockets, you will need a travel plug adapter in order to plug in. It is useful to have a smart phone and your own laptop. Make sure to pack all chargers you need. A portable hard drive might also come in handy.
- Medication: Make sure to have enough supply of medicine in case you are on constant medication. In case of quarantine it is uncertain how you will be able to consult your GP in regards of prescription of a further dose.
- Money: It is recommended to have Hungarian currency (Forint – HUF) on you upon arrival. It is also useful to have a credit or debit card you can use in Hungary.
- Textbooks: Many textbooks need for your studies can be purchased in Hungary. For details, please contact your Faculty.
- List of important contacts: Contact numbers for the University, your accommodation, family, insurance company, your bank.
- Toiletry kit:: Hand sanitizer, masks, general toiletry items.