University of Szeged


Self-financed Students

Tips and useful information for renting a flat in Szeged

FAQ (Frequently asked questions and their answers) for self-finance students:

1. How do I start looking for a place to rent?

The University of Szeged assists its students in finding a suitable flat to rent or share upon arrival or even before-hand.

There are also several real estate advertisement websites where you can find a lot of apartments for rent by using the sites search engine, these sites are usually available in both Hungarian, English and German.

There are many groups on Facebook too, offering a great variety of accommodation to rent. We advise you use typical keywords to browse the Internet, such as ’flat rent Szeged’ or ’apartment search in Szeged’.

The average monthly rental price of a two-room apartment might cost between 70.000 to 150.000 HUF (275-800 EUR); the surroundings, the condition of the apartment might affect the price.

Please bear in mind that utility bills and property management fee are not included in the rental fee price. These may result in additional costs. Internet connection is also not always available in the flat so you may need to sign up for it at a local communication service provider.

Paying a warrant is always required by the landlord, which is usually equal to 1 or 2 monthly fee. This has to be paid in advance before moving in, and it is released after moving out from the apartment.

Mentors will be glad to help you in choosing the best option for you after your arrival. You can also participate in the ’rent-hunting’-event organized by ESN Szeged, or check relevant Facebook-groups.


2. Where to rent an apartment?

Apart from the fact that everyone prefers to live near the campus and university buildings, Szeged has several pleasant districts. Felsőváros and Móraváros are very popular because of their relative proximity of downtown; you can go for cheaper flats in Tarján, Rókus or Makkosháza districts.

Please note that you might need to use public transportation or biking to reach your destination comfortably. According to statistics Szeged is one of the safest cities in Hungary so if you have the time, you can even walk.


3. How do I prove my accommodation at the immigration office?

In order to obtain the residence permit, you will need to present a valid rental contract signed by the accommodation provider. This includes the address, the monthly expenses, terms and conditions (period of renting). Please note that each and every owner of the property has to sign this contract, therefore it is suggested that you check the relevant names indicated on the property deed (a landholding document).

The language of public administration is Hungarian, as a result, it is not obligatory to submit the contract in English. For the sake of your own protection, it is highly recommended to have the contract translated to English as well.


Important to note: the contract to be signed has to meet the requirements of the immigration office of Hungary (National Directorate- General for Aliens Policing) as it would otherwise not be acceptable.

You will also have to present the following documents:

  • official copy of the property deed (földtulajdoni lap) issued by the Hungarian Land Administration Office (Földhivatal)
  • utility fees ruled (electricity, gas, water)
  • form of residential address registration (szállásbejelentő lap)
  • private documents (passport, Letter of Award, Decision of Admission)
  • proof of health insurance