Information on the pandemic regulation regarding travel restrictions, quarantine, vaccination and PCR tests
Hungary has gone through the third wave of COVID-19, and to date nearly 60% of the total population has been vaccinated with one of the vaccines available in Hungary, putting our country among the worlds’ leading field. Thanks to the high vaccination coverage, the vast majority of restrictions were lifted by the government at the end of June. According to this, the University of Szeged is planning on face to face education for the fall semester of the 2021-22 academic year.
If the virus were to start spreading again in the autumn months, a prepared and protected society would be waiting for it. To ensure that the level of protection is as high as possible, in May the government made it possible for non-Hungarian citizens legally residing in Hungary to be vaccinated, and shortly afterwards to apply for an immunity certificate. At the same time, in order to prevent the spread of the virus in Hungary by those infected with new variants, restrictions on entry into the country remained in place for the duration of the state of health emergency.
In this section, we review the conditions under which foreign nationals are expected to be able to travel into Hungary for the start of the academic year, their options for receiving the vaccine and whether the Hungarian state recognizes them if they have already been vaccinated.
- If you enter the country on land from the direction of Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Slovakia or Ukraine.
- If you have already been vaccinated in Hungary and you have a Hungarian Immunity Certificate card.
- If you have been vaccinated abroad and the Hungarian state accepts it by mutual or unilateral recognition. As of now, Hungary accepts the vaccination certificates from: Albania, Bahrain, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Northern Macedonia, Georgia, Cape Verde, Croatia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, San Marino, Republic of Serbia, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovakia, Slovenia, Swiss Confederation, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbegistan. The list of countries is constantly expanding, so please inquire at your local Hungarian embassy/consulate about the latest information.
- If you can present a result of a molecular biological test - SARS-CoV-2 PCR test - in accordance with the Health Regulations, not more than 72 hours old, certifying that the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus was not detectable in your body at the time of the test, proven by a document in Hungarian or English, if the test was made in one of the following states: EU member state, NATO member state, OECD member state, Russian Federation, People’s Republic of China, United Arab Emirates, Bahrein, member of the Cooperation Council of Turkic-speaking States (namely: Albania, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrein, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cape Verde, Chile, China, Ciprus, Columbia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finnland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kazahstan, Kirgizstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembrug, Malta, Marocco, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Netherlands, New-Zealand, North-Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, UK, Ukraine, USA, Uzbekistan)
Please be advised that you have to arrive in the dormitory between the 15th of August and the 25th of August if you would like to have self-financed quarantine accomodiation in one of our dormitories. If you would like to apply and for more information, please write an e-mail to: email@example.com
You will find information on getting the residence permit or registration certificate by clicking here.You can register for the vaccination on this specific website, after you will get a confirmation email of your registration. Once you have the confirmation email you can schedule an appointment for the vaccination online on this webpage.
- The vaccine you got have to be one of the accepted ones in Hungary (Pfizer, Astrazeneca, Szputnyik-V, Moderna, Sinopharm, Jansen).
- The state that administered your vaccine has to be one of the following: EU member state, NATO member state, OECD member state, Russian Federation, People’s Republic of China, United Arab Emirates, Bahrein, member of the Cooperation Council of Turkic-speaking States.
- You can apply for the immunity certificate in person after your arrival to Hungary at the government office.Please be advised that you have to prove that you have been vaccinated by a written authentic document in English or Hungarian.